When AdventureMan Retires

“When we retire,” AdventureMan begins as we are driving down the street, “I want a tree like that in our front yard.”

This isn’t the first time he has said such a thing.

You know, where you live there are rules, and sometimes those rules aren’t written down. If you violate the rules, people say mean things like “they must not be from around here.”

Like in my neighborhood, most of the houses have some grey in their color. It’s the Pacific Northwest. The sky is grey. Sometimes the sea is grey. People get used to grey, and they paint their houses grey, like blue-grey or brown-grey or green-grey, but always some kind of grey in the color. It’s just the way things are done.

Here, sometimes a house is painted very brightly, like egg yolk yellow, not a hint of grey. Bright bright orange, not a hint of grey. At first, it is shocking to the eye, but in six months, the color mellows with the bright sunlight, and fades to a soothing sand-yellow, or sand-orange.

This is what AdventureMan thinks would look great in our front yard:

00furnitureareastreet1

Or maybe he is just yanking on my chain? πŸ˜‰

February 6, 2009 - Posted by | Aging, Cross Cultural, ExPat Life, Family Issues, Humor, Joke, Kuwait, Living Conditions, Marriage, Relationships, Seattle

1. Intlxpatr ;

Good morning

Now that you are out with adventure man for Friday’s brunch it is my chance to play havoc with your blog eeheeeheheee

Adventure man ; when you get that tree make sure it runs on 110 volts current to take back ,don’t be the American purchasing geniuses we have around here who order electrical items from the states on 110 volts and find out that they forgot that the electricty in kuwait runs on 240V

Comment by daggero | February 6, 2009 | Reply

2. USELESS!!!

GET A CHOCOLATE TREE!!!
    Or better yet,
    GET A COFFEE TREE!!!

Wait, I just came up with a better idea,
    GET BOTH CHOCOLATE AND COFFEE TREES!!!

(As if its gonna happen… They cost like crazy :P)

Comment by Q8GEEK | February 6, 2009 | Reply

3. I miss walking down the street, walking into a coffee shop, talking to people, reading the paper on the counter, breathing in fresh air…The community aspect, I had a lot of that in London, DC and CT – somehow in Kuwait it’s missing (unless you drive from one diwaniya to another – I am not a big fan of diwaniyas).

I will probably end up in a city like Bethesda, MD, its own quaint community, with everything you would ever need, but without the rush, crowds and hassle of a major city, but close enough to a city if need be.

Comment by hilaliya | February 6, 2009 | Reply

4. Daggero, LLLOOOLLL, while we were out at brunch, AdventureMan asked me if there was a way I could block comments until I had a chance to look at them. I explained comment moderation to him, but it is something I will only implement if I have to. Most of the time, your comments are hilarious or informative or both, and don’t need any moderation. Every now and then . . . it’s that ol’ debil, I guess.

As for the 110/240 thing, you are right – IF he were going to buy one of those trees, notice the use of the subjunctive implying (deep) doubt. It’s not that hard to get things rewired . . . IF it were something we really wanted, which it is not something I really want at all.

LLLOOLLLL@ Q8GEEK, a chocolate tree would just melt away in the Seattle rain and a coffee tree wouldn’t get enough sunlight with all that rain and clouds . . . the good news, there is a coffee shop on every corner, at least one, and enough mocha to float a battleship. πŸ™‚

Ahh. Hilaliya, you are talking about community. πŸ™‚ I think in the narrow old streets of Kuwait there used to be that very thing. In those shady tea places the men would gather . . . now, with the taking down of the diwaniyyas built on public propertiy, I am seeing some outdoor diwaniyyas these days, they really look inviting, but they are the old fashioned kind, just benches and cushions, nothing fancy, maybe someone serving tea. I see neighbors gather . . . in these cool winter months, but I am not so sure how it works in the summer. I guess everyone is gone, so it is a moot point.

Bethesda is a gentle and sophisticated choice. Maybe you’ll have kids in college nearby. πŸ™‚

Comment by intlxpatr | February 6, 2009 | Reply

5. I understand AdventureMan. He comes from Florida–the tree goes with the mandatory plastic flamingo–hahahahaha!

Comment by momcat | February 6, 2009 | Reply

6. He’s not from Florida! He’s going to kill you for the Flamingo remark!

Comment by intlxpatr | February 6, 2009 | Reply

7. chocolate tree would melt? I didn’t mean a tree made of chocolate…

I was thinking of a tree that grows chocolate seeds (Which sized like a american football\rugby ball)…

I think it’s shell is hard enough to through it at someone and unconscious him\her\it πŸ˜› (You should try that if someone tried to step in without being invited)

Comment by Q8GEEK | February 6, 2009 | Reply

8. Ehm, if it doesn’t pan out, can you send it on to me? πŸ˜€
    I have no taste and I would looove one of those! :mrgreen:

Comment by Aafke | February 6, 2009 | Reply

9. You know, of course, if you bring one or three home for me I’ll put it up in a heartbeat! Or less! Screamin’ cool! Also – then you could see them any time you drove by…and feel right at “home”. LOL!
    ps – I also want the spiky thing with the lights…

Comment by Sparkle | February 7, 2009 | Reply

10. My apologies–I guess he is just a Florida boy wannabe! He can put his flamingos against my garden gnomes! LOL!

Comment by momcat | February 7, 2009 | Reply

11. I’d put the spiky one up in a heartbeat! IT’S TOO COOL!!!

Comment by Aafke | February 7, 2009 | Reply

12. OOOps, sorry, Q8Geek, I misunderstood. Hmmmm, a chocolate tree . . . I wonder if it would grow in Seattle?

Aafke, LLLOOLL

Sparkle – Have you met Aafke?

Momcat – oh, he is really gonna come after you now! Flamingos!

Aafke – have you met Sparkle?

Comment by intlxpatr | February 7, 2009 | Reply

13. Ok Grey is a little depressing for a house color. But putting up one of those trees on a lawn in the US is ASKING FOR TROUBLE πŸ˜›

Comment by 1001Nights | February 7, 2009 | Reply

14. No, I haven’t met Sparkle, but it seems we share the same ”taste” πŸ˜‰

Comment by Aafke | February 7, 2009 | Reply

15. 1001 – Do you think maybe he is putting me on? πŸ˜‰ Sparkle, on the other hand, my baby sister, is SERIOUS! (shudder!)

Aafke – I bet the two of you would have a hilarious time together! I shudder at the thought!

Comment by intlxpatr | February 7, 2009 | Reply

16. Well I’ll be honest when I first read it I thought most certainly he was kidding. Then I worried that I may not be reading your tone appropriately and maybe AdvMan was serious. Ah I don’t know…but habeebty they’re hideous please don’t take them into your home!

Comment by 1001Nights | February 7, 2009 | Reply

17. LLOOLL, AS IF! 1001, I think he says it just to watch me squirm. I don’t want to screech “They’re HIDEOUS!” because sometimes, it just eggs him on. I don’t want to do anything to encourage him in this madness. I just look at him sadly and tell him that they work in Kuwait because it doesn’t rain here, but that the rain in Seattle would ruin them, they would have electrical shorts. πŸ˜‰

Comment by intlxpatr | February 8, 2009 | Reply

18. Hideous?! I think not. They are interesting! Amusing! They brighten the day and make one smile! Perfect for the gloomy northwest. Aafke, thumbs up for having adventurous (and superior) taste. πŸ˜‰
    (confession – I used to have a few flamingo’s – they were the neighbor’s dastardly doing, of course… LOL!)

Comment by Sparkle | February 10, 2009 | Reply

19. Sparkle, I have a fake crocodile-head floating in my pond in the summer, half hidden by the waterlillies, and I brought it. On purpose. It’s mine and I love it!
    And I have little plastic fairies on sticks inbetween the flowers! And until my (decently white) waterlillies are in flower I have pink fake ones floating in the pond….

One of these palms would fit right in! πŸ˜€

Comment by Aafke | February 10, 2009 | Reply

20. Sparkle, I remember Mom saying once that “good taste always seems to be someone whose taste coincides very closely with one’s own!” and that always gives me a grin. I guess you and Aafke would love each other!

Aafke – LLLOOOLLLL! Crocodile and fairies! I would sneak over one night and put one of the fairies half way in the crocodile’s mouth and wait for you to discover it! Yes, I am BAD.

Comment by intlxpatr | February 10, 2009 | Reply

21. Wont work! :mrgreen: it’s just the top of a head peeking out of the water, vΓ©ry realistic! people have been known to take a step back!

My best one was a fake skull I used to put in with my parents three alsatians’ kennel when they had visitors, It blended perfectely with the smoked bones they had to chew on, and then a few dead leaves… People have turned white, and started looking for the exit when they noticed it! :mrgreen:

Comment by Aafke | February 10, 2009 | Reply

22. LLLOOOLLLL! Aafke, I think we must be related. You sound like my family, LLOOLL.

Comment by intlxpatr | February 10, 2009 | Reply