“Are You Sure Those Are Mosquito Bites?”

Sorry for the silence, I had the iPad with me, but it is complicated connecting, uploading, getting it all right . . . and I just didn’t have the time.

We had one of the best Thanksgivings, ever. The weather was gorgeous, the setting was perfect, and the company was delightful. The food was copious and delicious (photos will follow).

We were staying at the beach, at our old favorite, the Sunset Inn. I had noticed a few little bites as we were eating, but no big deal, and I put on some repellant and went on with my life. When we got back to the beach, I started itching. And scratching. What had seemed like little bites were growing red and irritated. I had brought Benedryl gel with me, a Godsend for a mosquito-magnet like me, and I got to work immediately.

We took a drive to Apalachicola for lunch the day after Thanksgiving, and drove out to St. Vincents National wildlife refuge and St. Joseph’s state park, part of the national birding trail. Last night, I treated more bites.

Today, back on Pensacola, AdventureMan took a look at me and said “Are you sure those are all mosquito bites?”

No. I know mosquitos love to bite me, but other things love to bite me, too.

“Those look like chigger bites,” he added.

I don’t even know what chiggers are. All I know is that whatever bit me – and I was stupid, and wearing a skirt and short sleeved t-shirt, so there was a lot of bare skin to bite – bit me a lot, and today, I am suffering, and not so silently, either.

I thank God for his creation, and I also wonder about some things, like mosquitos, chiggers and slugs – like what was the point?

November 24, 2012 - Posted by | Florida, Health Issues, Holiday, Living Conditions, Pet Peeves

1. I was afraid you were gonna say bedbugs! Chiggers are pretty wicked too.

Comment by rumpydog | November 24, 2012 | Reply

2. LOL, well no, no LOL, we had those once several years ago – AWFUL! This is different but BAD. šŸ˜¦

Comment by intlxpatr | November 24, 2012 | Reply

3. oh, ugh! try putting nail polish on the bites.

Comment by adiamondinsunlight | November 24, 2012 | Reply

4. Interesting idea, Little Diamond, but I don’t have any clear . . . . and I’m thinking colored nail polish would only draw attention to the problem. . . . so far, I think the Benedryl is doing a lot to make the swelling and itching go away šŸ™‚

Comment by intlxpatr | November 24, 2012 | Reply

5. I prefer Vick’s Vapo-Rub to make the itching stop. It’s a combination of the smothering of the nail polish (I assume; I’ve only ever used it to make mosquito bites stop itching) and the menthol. Doesn’t take much, but it’s my standby living in Germany near a small pond with no screens!

Comment by Emma | November 25, 2012 | Reply

6. Wow. Vick’s Vapo Rub. I like the way it smells, too. Whoda thunk it would work on mosquito bites? Things are a lot better today, thanks be to God.

Emma, I screened some of my windows in Germany using a really strong Velcro tape and screening, have you thought of doing that?

Comment by intlxpatr | November 25, 2012 | Reply

7. One of Barbara Kingsolver’s books (Prodigal Summer?) pointed out the hunting to extinction of a southern bird that loved to eat chiggers….. One of her characters later wonders aloud why God made chiggers… so I always think of that when anyone else asks. Apparently, they were great eating for that beautiful bird.

Comment by Sondy | November 26, 2012 | Reply

8. Hmmm . . . I wonder which bird that was? AdventureMan can ask his birding friends; I am guessing one of them will know. Actually, though, I think most of what I have are good old mosquito bites, they love to bite me. And I am better today, although my legs look like a plague victim . . . šŸ˜‰

Comment by intlxpatr | November 26, 2012 | Reply