Hope in a Bottle

Holy Smokes, I notice I am just about out of my trade-mark Smog eye shadow, totally unavailable even in the Sephoras in Kuwait and Qatar, but fortunately available in a nearby Sephora here in Seattle. Sparkle introduced me to Smog, and Maui Wowie, by Urban Decay. If you know me, you know how funny that is. The name is so Goth. I am so not.

As I am perusing what else I might need and not even know it until I see it, a very strange man comes into Sephora with a patter and a handful of red, white and pink balloons.

Honestly, I thought he was like a singing telegram, and maybe it was somebody’s birthday, but the gals working in Sephora were sort of brushing him off and his patter was, well, unattractive when not profane. One gal, working on a makeover, was kind but firm, and said good-bye to him and he seemed to take the hint and left. He comes by almost daily, she said.

As I was checking out, I asked the Sephora lady if she had any little samples of face cream, so that when I go back to Kuwait I can put them in my little plastic sack and use them so my face won’t get all dry, and she very graciously gave me several. It wasn’t until I got home that I took a good look and started laughing. In my family, we have always called all face creams “Hope in a Bottle.”

August 26, 2008 - Posted by | Beauty, ExPat Life, Family Issues, Kuwait, Living Conditions, Seattle, Shopping

1. It is hope in a jar and Time in a bottle ,

Gordon lightfoot ???

Comment by daggero | August 26, 2008 | Reply

2. lol I have to get reeaally old before i call face cream hope in a jar !

Comment by Mrm | August 26, 2008 | Reply

3. Have we lowered our standards so much, we are willing to pay for hope? Personally, I don’t want hope, I want proof! πŸ˜‰

Comment by mimfoy | August 26, 2008 | Reply

4. You can actually buy Hope in a Bottle, as the company also markets a product by that name. πŸ™‚

Comment by Heather (Global Gal) | August 26, 2008 | Reply

5. Daggero – It is Gordon Lightfoot! I’d totally forgotten Time in a Bottle.

Mrm – No, no, dear you have to get in the habit NOW to prevent crinkles later! You will be astonished how quickly those little lines appear. 😦

Momfoy – Clearly, you are not old enough or desperate enough to need hope in a bottle! LOL! These cosmetic marketers promise; they have statistics! “47% of women will see visible results in 7 days?” “Proof” πŸ˜‰

Heather / Global Gal – NO kidding??? How funny!

Comment by intlxpatr | August 26, 2008 | Reply

6. Ahh, as much as I like Gordon Lightfoot, that would be Jim Croce, my friends, singing Time in a Bottle. πŸ˜‰
    And LOL – it just tickles me that smog is something we’re happy to get (yep, I still use it, too!), and hope comes in a jar. If only!
    Wouldn’t you like to know more about the strange man with the balloons? There are so many stories out there…perhaps he could use some hope in a bottle!
    (Great jacket on the lovely lady getting the makeover – how cool)

Comment by Sparkle | August 26, 2008 | Reply

7. LOL, Sparkle, Croce? Before my time, I guess πŸ˜›

Thank you so much for introducing me to Smog, and to so many other good things. πŸ™‚

Comment by intlxpatr | August 26, 2008 | Reply

8. i love philosophy’s slogans and names! they’re just heartwearming ^^

Comment by vixenfatale | August 27, 2008 | Reply

9. I love anything that will promise me “visible results” in like seven days! Make me pretty!

Comment by intlxpatr | August 27, 2008 | Reply

10. Is that you in the pic?!

Comment by ummadam | August 27, 2008 | Reply

11. LLLOOOLLL! No! I’m the one who takes photos!

Comment by intlxpatr | August 27, 2008 | Reply

12. Sephora is in Kuwait? I just arrived here and am still trying to find my way aroound. =)

Comment by dawn | September 16, 2008 | Reply

13. Dawn – It is/was supposed to open “soon” at The Avenues. I don’t know if it really has opened. I know there is one in Villagio, in Qatar, but it doesn’t carry Urban Decay!

Comment by intlxpatr | September 16, 2008 | Reply

14. Urban Decay is my daughters favorite as well. I love Bare Escentuals. I also like philosphy’s Hope in a Jar as well =) They also have a cleanser ( purity) that is great. I just found out there’s a lush store in Salmiya. If you haven’t tried it, you must!

Comment by dawn | September 17, 2008 | Reply

15. Dawn :

on behalf of a grateful kuwaitian nation i welcome you to kuwait

You are gonna love it here .Lots of make up for peanuts and lots of beauty shops

Drive safely and no cell phone while you are driving

Have a pleasant stay

Comment by daggero | September 17, 2008 | Reply

16. Dawn – Lush! I’ll have to find it! I tend to go back and forth, so I pick up what I need stateside, or have someone send it. LOL your daughter and I sharing Urban Decay! And I love love love Hope in a jar!

Daggero – LLLOOOLLL! Watch out, Dawn, he’s a wit!

Comment by intlxpatr | September 17, 2008 | Reply

17. Daggero

Thank you very much for the warm welcome. ( no cell phone , I use my blue tooth when in the car if need be.) I noticed however, hardly anyone uses it here. why is that?

Comment by dawn | September 19, 2008 | Reply

18. =)
    I love lush, I stocked up on lotion bars and bath bombs before I came. So nice to know supplies are available! My daughter loves the very colors you mentioned. she’s also a fan of the glitter liners.

Comment by dawn | September 19, 2008 | Reply

19. LLOOLLL! I will leave the glitter liner to your daughter; I would look hopeless in glitter liner! Thanks for giving me a very good laugh today, Dawn!

Comment by intlxpatr | September 19, 2008 | Reply