Pilot Sleeping, No Penalty

From yesterday’s Kuwait Times:

KAC head overruled in pilot transfer
Published Date: August 28, 2008

KUWAIT: The Administrative Court has overruled the decision of the chairman of Kuwait Airways Company, Hamd Al-Falah, to transfer a pilot from his normal duties to another department, as well as reducing his salary. Al-Falah took the decision after the pilot allegedly committed a violation when he went to sleep while a flight under his control was returning to Kuwait on auto pilot from another Gulf state, reported.

Despite the need for him to resume control of the plane for landing, the pilot could not reportedly be roused from his sleep and the co-pilot had to land the plane single-handedly. The pilot was subsequently referred for investigation by a committee, managed by an Indian administrative employee of the corporation.

The pilot contested the committee’s decision, approved by the chairman, to transfer the pilot and reduce his salary, particularly since aviation regulations prohibit the imposition of two penalties for one violation or mistake.

A court official revealed that, although the court had cancelled the two penalties, it could not officially cancel the decision to transfer an employee since this comes under the authority of the relevant department. Company regulations state that any employee being reassigned should be transferred to a post at the same level as their former position.

August 29, 2008 - Posted by | ExPat Life, Health Issues, Kuwait, Living Conditions, Relationships, Social Issues

1. U wait Airways planes are a lot safer when flown by the auto pilot .

This pilot was trying to sleep his way to the top , 30000 feet of it .

“on a wing and a prayer” has been U wait airways motto , but now ” on a mattress and a pajama ” is the new one .

Mrs Intlxpatr , thank you for choosing Uwait airways for your trip back . Shall i book you a window or an aisle seat or would you like a sleeper like our pilot .

Comment by daggero | August 29, 2008 | Reply

2. I would like a parachute…

Comment by Aafke | August 29, 2008 | Reply

3. LOL, Daggero! I stopped flying Kuwait Airlines (love the U Wait Airlines!) back when I read about Kuwait Airlines staff resigning because a pilot candidate had been promoted to pilot after flunking the test three times! He was given the job of pilot because he was Kuwaiti, even though he couldn’t pass the test! That’s it for me; life is dangerous enough just driving here, without taking extra chances.

Aafke – there are other options! Other airlines! More all the time! Jazeera Airlines flies out of Kuwait, and there is another new Kuwait airlines starting up, Watania, I think, and then several other national airlines that fly in and out of here, so, thank God, we don’t have to fly Kuwait Air. Now take off that parachute!

Comment by intlxpatr | August 29, 2008 | Reply

4. 3n il’3ala6 :p

Comment by SkyWorker | August 29, 2008 | Reply

5. I’m married to a pilot and I’ve been working in aviation myself now for 3 years. Whoa has it ever opened my eyes. Still the safest mode of travel, but there is a lot of stuff you just don’t want to know out there. Sleeping pilots, evidently, is such a common problem that there is quite a lot of R&D into cockpit sleep monitors and wake alarms, etc. hehe

Comment by Heather (Global Gal) | August 29, 2008 | Reply

6. U wait airlines is celebrating 50 years anniversary in the business , the best gift the Kuwaiti government should give to U wait airline on this auspicious occasion is to sell this menace

Comment by daggero | August 29, 2008 | Reply

7. sleeping while returning from a gulf country?

someone should have tested his blood to find out why he was such a heavy sleeper.

and whats with the special attention to the fact that the committee is managed by an indian?

Comment by sknkwrkz | August 30, 2008 | Reply

8. […] Here There and Everywhere Read the comments too. I recently flew Kuwait Airways in and out of Kuwait and there were […]

Pingback by Mister Ian’s Weblog » Pilot Sleeping on Duty | August 30, 2008 | Reply

9. Can somebody tell me what SkyWorker said to me? Do I need to delete it? Is it obscene?

LOL, Heather! On most of the longer flights, I think they have pilots to take turns, and even sleeping rooms for pilots when they are not piloting. But from one Gulf country to another (like 1 1/2 hour maximum?????) Not being able to wake him? You gotta wonder what he was ingesting?

Skunk – I agree. I was thinking the same thing. Maybe a blood alcohol test or a urine sample would have been appropriate?

I had the same question – I am betting the source for this article was a member of that committee, and he was outraged that the committee recommendation was overturned.

Comment by intlxpatr | August 30, 2008 | Reply

10. intlxpatr

skyworker said ( aan el ghalatt) which means “dont make mistake ” or “dont err ” it is a kuwaiti slang said if one believes that an insult took place . I think he meant my comments about u wait airways , but it is also said in denying the facts in a joking manner

Comment by daggero | August 30, 2008 | Reply

11. :O :O …and that’s another reason why i prefer taking road trips as oppose to planes

I found that story on the pilot who failed 3 times much more disturbing…

Just a quick question: If a plane can land without the brains of a conscious pilot, why don’t we get rid of all of them…and by doing so reduce the price of airline tickets 😉

Comment by Darya | August 31, 2008 | Reply

12. Thank you, Daggero! I love the phrases I learn from my readers; the only problem I have is that if I use them, people think I speak better Arabic than I do and talk too fast for me, LOL! That is a great phrase. I am guessing it was aimed at my printing the article, but God knows, the state of Kuwait Airlines is no secret.

Darya – And, on road trips, you really get a better feel for the territory. AdventureMan and I LOVE road trips! 🙂

The pilot evidently had a very good co-pilot, who landed the plane.

I feel sorry for most of the airlines these days; I think they are really struggling to stay in the black (not lose money) Having said that, I really had to swallow hard when I bought my ticket back to the US for this last summer – I flew economy, and it was nearly what I used to pay to fly business class.

Comment by intlxpatr | August 31, 2008 | Reply

13. […] Via: Pilot Sleeping, No Penalty « Here There and Everywhere […]

Pingback by Mister Ian’s Weblog » Pilot Sleeping, No Penalty | September 11, 2008 | Reply