Doha Museum of Islamic Art, Take 4

I can’t let friends or family come to Doha without a trip to the serene beauty of the Doha Museum of Islamic Art. Little Diamond was content to view the exhibits at her own speed, so I visited a few of my favorite friends:

I never tire of spending time with Iznik Tiles

00IznikTiles

There is an Iranian piece that bowls me over with its beauty
00IranianBowl

And I just have this thing for light fixtures. This is a mosque lamp, and I think it is Turkish

00MosqueLampTurkish

But oh, look at the interior of the museum itself:

00QMIASwirlingInterior

00QMIAInteriorFountain

00QMIADome

There is a breathtaking view of the Corniche Skyline from the spot where, on the map, they say the coffee shop should be. It really needs a coffee shop there. The restrooms are immaculate, the gift shop has lovely items, the exhibits are lush and beautiful, but you need a place to sit and think about what you’ve seen, compare notes, recharge so you can go back and take another look at something you are wondering about. It really, really needs that coffee shop.

July 21, 2009 - Posted by | Arts & Handicrafts, Beauty, Building, Community, Cultural, Doha, Entertainment, ExPat Life, Living Conditions, Public Art, Qatar | ,

1. It’s a wonderful place and I can’t imagine ever tiring from it… What about the temporary exhibits? Are they any good? They hadn’t started when I visited.

Comment by Bu Yousef | July 21, 2009 | Reply

2. When the museum opened, there was a wonderful exhibit about Crossing Boundaries, or something similar, with art works which featured crossing of Christian, Jewish and Islamic religious themes. It was beautiful, fascinating and intriguing. There was also a large Book of Secrets exhibit. All that is there right now are the (pretty fantastic) computer generated exhibits showing the work that went into restoring and re-creating the machines from the Book of Secrets, which is actually worth a trip to the museum in itself – more fun for the kids than the rest of the museum which is more serious and darker.

Comment by intlxpatr | July 21, 2009 | Reply

3. Wow! Looks great. I’ll put that on my list of places to go when I visit Qatar.
    Thanks for sharing.

Comment by F. | July 22, 2009 | Reply

4. Hello, F! Come now! Come during summer, when the place is empty, and go between one and three. you have the silence, the privacy, you can linger when you want and speed through what you don’t care about. Jazeera has some good specials. You can get here in the morning and leave the same day, if you want.

Comment by intlxpatr | July 22, 2009 | Reply

5. […] Credit:Doha Museum of Islamic Art, Take 4 « Here There and Everywhere Connect and Share […]

Pingback by Doha Museum of Islamic Art, Take 4 « Here There and Everywhere | Museum And Art | July 22, 2009 | Reply

6. حده عجيب
    تصميم راقي وجنتل
    يحتاج زياره

Comment by bader | July 23, 2009 | Reply

7. Bader, I can’t read arabic well enough to understand what you wrote, but I like your website very much.

Comment by intlxpatr | July 23, 2009 | Reply

8. Thanks for the information! Nice article writing! Worth to read!

Comment by Shaina | July 24, 2009 | Reply

9. If you’re looking to create a unique handmade feature wall or select from a range of elegant ceiling roses then take a peek at AlhambraDesigns.com

Comment by alhambra designs | February 24, 2010 | Reply