Natural Pearls at Natural History Club

“The Al Fardan collection from Qatar . . . ” Ahhhhhhh.

From the time I arrived in Doha, I have heard whispers about the legendary Al Fardan pearl collection and it has been my dream to see it. This temporary exhibit will be a dream come true. I can hardly wait for this it to open at the Doha Museum of Islamic Art on January 29th, but meanwhile – this should be a fabulous meeting of the Doha Natural History Club.

(Source for photo)

From the Gulf Times:

History group meet

The Qatar Natural History Group will hold a meeting on Wednesday, at the Doha English Speaking School.

Dr Hubert Bari, curator of gems and jewellery at the Museum of Islamic Art and manager of temporary exhibitions for the Qatar Museums Authority, will give a presentation on the subject of natural pearls, ahead of the major exhibition on pearls scheduled to open at the MIA at the end of this month.

Dr Bari will give the audience a pre-view of some of the treasures gathered from all over the world which will be on show in the exhibition, including the famous Hope Pearl and the Pearl of Asia and, for the first time, the Alfardan collection from Qatar.

For my friends and family who do not live in Qatar – exhibits at the Doha Museum of Islamic Art are free. Free. No entry fee, no fee. Qatar sponsors priceless exhibitions like this for the population gratis. Free. As a public service. How amazing is that?

January 4, 2010 - Posted by | Adventure, Arts & Handicrafts, Beauty, Community, Cultural, Customer Service, Doha, ExPat Life, Living Conditions, Qatar

1. Oh, so fortunate! I went to Dr Bari’s lecture last year at the QNHG and it was wonderful! He is certainly a very charming, entertaining, and knowledgeable presenter. What a treat. There was advance buzz about this exhibit … I hope it is as wonderful as your expectations. Enjoy …

Comment by Sheila | January 4, 2010 | Reply

2. Nice! Wish I were there. Enjoy.
    Do people there like to wear pearl necklace and ear rings?

Comment by Polar Panda | January 5, 2010 | Reply

3. Thank you Sheila! I can hardly wait!

Polar – I have one friend who calls another friend “The Queen of Pearls.” 🙂 People here are like people everywhere; some like pearls, some like diamonds, some prefer rubys or emeralds or amethysts, or costume jewelry. 🙂

Comment by intlxpatr | January 5, 2010 | Reply

4. i am the latin emperor and i have seventeen of those pearls very nice quality and almost rare in color, contact me for more informacion.

Comment by leo quintena | May 13, 2010 | Reply

5. hi, i am in qatar, i want to buy a natural pearl ring, i dont want to buy a fake pearl.
    i am confused by the pricing in the market,it starts from Qr:150.00,
    i dont know if these pearl rings are genuine.
    looking for guidence like where to buy a true pearl ring for men.what price i can get a true pearl the minimium value.maximium is infinityi know that.thank you.

Comment by Ahmed | August 16, 2011 | Reply

6. Ahmed, if you want a good pearl ring in Doha, I would go to the Al Fardan jewelers. Natural pearls are most expensive, but there are some around. Only an expert can tell whether or not the pearl you are buying is natural or cultured. Some of the cultured pearls are so good these days that even experts are sometimes unsure.

Comment by intlxpatr | August 16, 2011 | Reply

• i would likem to thank you on your advice, and for the time you have spent. sorry but my request is still a request as i dont have a clear idea of what to do, where to purchase a natural pearl, and what would be the approxmate monetry value for a 5 carat natural pearl. i hope al fardan is not selling cultured pearls, hope you have better knowledge, awaiting your advice. thank you

Comment by Ahmed | August 22, 2011 | Reply

7. Ahmed, I am so sorry, I have to rely on the opinion of experts, and the reputable jeweler’s desire to protect his reputation. 🙂 Even experts can be fooled by the perfection of some of the pearls created these days. I am not an expert.

Comment by intlxpatr | August 22, 2011 | Reply

• thank you. can i request you to give me any price idea.

Comment by Ahmed | August 23, 2011 | Reply

• Ahmed, I do not have that expertise. You really need to prepare to take your time. Don’t buy anything in a hurry. People who are experts love explaining things to those who are willing to listen. If you go to a reputable jeweler and ask for help to become more knowledgeable, they will show you different pearls (and disclose their price range) and discuss their differences.

Comment by intlxpatr | August 23, 2011