Very Orange, Very Pink

Haven’t driven down the Gulf Road to Fehaheel for a while, so when I did I found two eye-shockers. The first one is in Fehaheel, not directly on Gulf Road, but visible from the stoplights headed north. Believe me, my friends, this photo does not do justice to the incredible Pepto-Bismo PINKNESS of this building. It is a shocker:

00pepto-bismopink.jpg

Then, just across from the Hilton Hotel is this very very orange beauty. To emphasize the orangeness (and it is a very brilliant orangeness!) they are painting the white trim a very brilliant turquoise-blue. The effect is . . . amazing.

00gulfroadorange.jpg

Please. Take a drive. These photos are washed out compared to the utter brilliance of these colors.

January 17, 2008 - Posted by | Arts & Handicrafts, Cultural, ExPat Life, Kuwait, Living Conditions

1. they are taking over after the cars πŸ˜€

Comment by Amu | January 17, 2008 | Reply

2. BARBIES DREAM APARTMENT!!!! YaaaY

Comment by Chirp | January 17, 2008 | Reply

3. we’re supposed to take a trip to Umm El Haiman this afternoon to scout out the area. I’ll make sure we pass through there when we’re done.

Comment by kinano | January 17, 2008 | Reply

4. Lipstick colored cars, Amu???

Chirp – I hadn’t thought of that! Perfect!

Comment by intlxpatr | January 17, 2008 | Reply

5. Is that what that area is called, Kinan? Take your camera – show us what you see. Pretend it is Damascus. No? Well, take some photos, put them on your blog!

Comment by intlxpatr | January 17, 2008 | Reply

6. yes that what I mean that pink SLK, TAHOE…..etc

Comment by Amu | January 17, 2008 | Reply

7. I don’t approve of these until they build them out of candy.

Comment by 3baid | January 17, 2008 | Reply

8. I’m sure that you haven’t seen the VERT RED house!! if I pass by it I will make sure to take a photo of it πŸ˜›

Comment by True Faith | January 17, 2008 | Reply

9. to Amu – there is a Glittery Purple Yukon/Tahoe, with a GUY driving it. I thought his 6 year old sister might of dropped her backpack on the car.

Comment by Chirp | January 17, 2008 | Reply

10. Wow. I bet the orange one is pretty at sunset – can’t wait to see them both in person!

Comment by adiamondinsunlight | January 17, 2008 | Reply

11. How very Andalusian! It’s always nice having a spot of colour in your life. Takes the drabness out of urban landscapes & urban living with their accent on steel, glass and pastel shades of beige, gray or white. I think it was the Indian embassy on the Gulf street which won the Aga Khan award for architecture that set the tone for bold and daring colours to be used on buildings in Kuwait and there’s been no looking back since.
    Also, it’s a question of celebrity endorsement and suddenly the seemingly outrageous becomes all the rage. If a Zaha Hadid or Aneesh Kapoor were to endorse it, I am sure each one of us is going to want to have our chalets in pink, turquoise or what have you.

Comment by me talk dirty one day | January 17, 2008 | Reply

12. You are so right, BL. It’s all a question of what the trend is, and what the local standards are. These stand out from the others!

Comment by intlxpatr | January 18, 2008 | Reply

13. We dont have rules in Kuwait that prohibit certain colors, and/or laws that define specific shades to choose from (like in Tunisia, and some areas I’ve been to in France)

Comment by This Lady | January 20, 2008 | Reply

14. This is going to sound a bit daft but a lot of the building facades we have going up in Q8 remind me of Venice beach in Calif. So who orchestrated this coup in Kuwait?

Comment by tulip bint cactus | January 20, 2008 | Reply

15. Lady, I remember in Qatar, there was a law that youcould only paint like shades of sand, white, beige, ecru . . . sand colors. They also had a law that no one could hang clothes on the balcony or roof where they could be seen by passing cars! There was a huge fine!

I have a feeling that in this hot, direct, unceasing sun, the brighter colors fade very rapidly. And it does give a feeling of seaside village gaiety to the drive! πŸ™‚

Morning, BL! Yes, Venice Beach! Seaside, FL, too, although no, those are more pastel . . . I have actually seen the oxblood color in French villages in the Alsace, and it already appears to be fading. I think people are just expressing themselves, breaking out a little. πŸ™‚

Comment by intlxpatr | January 20, 2008 | Reply