Shrimp Or Clam Salad

This is a great salad to take to a potluck / covered dish lunch. It can be made with either clams of shrimp, and can be made more or less spicy by the addition of Tabasco sauce.

picudbfxx.jpg

Shrimp / Clam Salad

3 cups freshly cooked hot rice
3 -4 Tablespoons Miracle Whip or Mayonnaise
2 Tbls cocktail sauce (or ketchup + horseradish)
2 -3 chopped green onions
i stalk chopped celery
1/2 cup chopped sweet pickle
12 – 16 oz cooked frozen shrimp
or
2 cans whole clams, drained (use the clam liquid as part of the water for cooking the rice)

Cook rice, add solid ingredients (no need to thaw shrimp if rice is hot). Add sauces and very little pepper to the rice. Stir, cover and refirgerate until cold. Serve on lettuce leaves, if serving individually.

January 21, 2008 - Posted by | Cooking, Recipes | , ,

1. Looks delicious, do you have any recipes for cooking brown rice. Every time I try to cook it, it ends being very dry.

Comment by Bader | January 22, 2008 | Reply

2. I will look, Bader. It seems to me, brown rice needs longer cooking to soften, and really needs some butter in it to make it taste good.

Comment by intlxpatr | January 22, 2008 | Reply

3. I read once that it needs more water and I did put more water than I use with white rice but it was still dry, for every cup of brown rice I used one and half cups of water, I never added butter before, I’ll try it and I’ll let you know, Thanks for the advice.

Comment by Bader | January 22, 2008 | Reply

4. The best information I could find came from Start Cooking: How To Cook Brown Rice but I honestly use the 1 cup rice to 2 cups water ratio, and I always add butter.

Another thing is that you can brown the rice in the butter before cooking, and it seems to cook up better, have you ever tried that? I love the taste!

Comment by intlxpatr | January 22, 2008 | Reply

5. I usually just stir the rice in a pan with a little bit of oil until it smells nutty and then I add boiling water into the same pan, turn the heat down and cover the pan for about 15 minutes, I like the idea of adding butter, I never tried it but I will next time. I’ll also use your 1 cup rice/2 cups water ratio and see how it works out. Thanks again.

Comment by Bader | January 22, 2008 | Reply

6. Oh wait! Bader, I usually add water that is not boiling – I don’t know if that makes a difference. Same thing, bring to a boil, turn heat down to the lowest mark and cover – but with brown rice, it’s more like 30 – 45 minutes. Brown rice is tougher! And it usually is more chewy, even with all that cooking.

Comment by intlxpatr | January 22, 2008 | Reply

7. Ok, so I basically add two cups of water to every cup of brown rice, add butter, bring it to a boil, cover and turn the heat down as low as I can and let it cook for 30-45 minutes, right?

Comment by Bader | January 23, 2008 | Reply

8. That’s it. Let me know how it works!

Comment by Intlxpatr | January 23, 2008 | Reply